Re: [messengers] 2012 Markus Cook Award

Date: 4 Nov 2012 00:55:46 +0100
From: Shawn bega Blumenfeld <shawnbega@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

thank you all. ive been trying to think about what to say about this
honor, the Markus Cook Award, and its taken me a couple of days. im
rarely at a loss for words. i found some. sorry.

i sit now in the shadow of the teotihuacan pyramids, waiting for the
sunset and contemplating what brought me here.  30+miles north of
mexico city and certainly stuck for the night: the alleycat last night
and today's riding having taken all of my energy. 27 years since my
first messenger run and 6 years from my last, yet i hold onto my
connection to the bike messenger community with the tightest grip i
can manage, for you all are my only salvation, the only group of
anybody i have ever felt comfortable with.

what brought me here, what brought me everywhere, are my fellow bike messengers.

i have been extremely lucky. i survived 20 years on the streets
delivering nonsense from one office to another. and now i get to enjoy
the fruits of the friendships i have made through nothing more than a
shared occupation. no other job creates these friendships. ask
bartenders, the secretaries, the security guards, the lawyers, anyone
we interact with on a daily basis. how many of them have traveled
across the world just to party with people they dont know? just
because they have the same job? we are perfectly unique.

messengering creates a dicotomy in all of us. we frequently hate doing
the job yet love being messengers. messengers are amongst the hardest
working and laziest people on earth. we consistently show great
disdaine for all others, yet readily accept those that appreciate us.
we shun the corporate greed we see around us, yet make our livings off
that same greed. we reject becoming billboards, yet take pleasure when
we win prizes. we refuse outside help yet seek it vigorously when it
creates a bigger celebration. we preach safety while working then
throw ourselves into traffic for fun. we take great pride in riding in
the worst weather, and then hope for sunshine and warmth.

no job creates a community the way bike messengering does. we all
could have found other mcjobs when the time came, but for whatever
reason, we each chose to put ourself on a bicycle, throw a bag over
our shoulder, and deliver packages, suffering in the worst of weather
and enjoying the sun when it shines on us. and enjoying the freedom
the job affords us. it is both the torments and the pleasures of the
job that have kept us together, and kept us searching for eachother in
the farthest reaches of the globe. now as our numbers dwindle in many
of the most traditional messenger cities, we are finding new
companions in places we never thought to look. and we get to travel
there too and share the joys and pains of messengering in great
celebrations.

keep throwing alleycats and championships. they bring us together in
the best possible way. and always look out for those loosing their
skin on the streets for some dumb package.

--
Shawn "bega" Blumenfeld
Cycling Coaching and Events